Remove this ad

DawsonSully

cameronite

#41 [url]

Feb 9 17 10:09 PM

It does seem like you took an interesting approach David, especially by presenting those critiquing articles of those high browed, wine sipping aristocratic critics who self proclaimed themselves as those who judge what people should like or shouldnt

Titanic - movie so big only James Cameron could top it

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Dizzer

cameronite

#42 [url]

Feb 10 17 12:44 AM

On one hand, it is good to expose those naysayers today, on the other hand, I don't think they deserve any kind of spotlight at all. Great reviews David, and it looks like you took a slight different approach with the book. After all, you're probably the first author on James Cameron that is also a die hard fan like us here

Wolfie's fine honey, wolfie's just fine...where are you

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Feb 10 17 11:50 AM

There was David Brennan's first volume though, he was a fan too ! I mentioned it in the appendix section, and this site is also there as well. but yeah, I wrote it like a novel, actually it reads like a thriller as a reader noted. It makes for a more dramatic and exciting read than just a regular biography.

The "detractors" are thus mentioned, as every drama needs conflict! It's mostly about how hard filmmaking is, and how our fave director likes to raise the bar and fight to achieve his goal, how he fails all the time, but how as he says, his failure is way above other people victories since the bar is so high!

The critics who dismiss him kinda come back as the chapters goes, like a running joke, they're like the funny recurring comical character in a film who always get a pie in the face. You laugh just when you see him because you know he's going to get it. They make for a cracking read. I especially liked in the T2 section, exposing all the criticism (it's gonna fail, make less bo than the original, will never recoup it's budget etc.), and then adding "Meanwhile, in the real world..." and cue to the film being sold to all markets at the Cannes Festival LOL

The thing is, I go by JC's motto. There's gonna be 700 naysayers to anything you wanna make. Just note every reason they argue why you're going to fail, then do it anyway.

Last Edited By: DavidWebb Feb 10 17 8:11 PM. Edited 5 times.

Quote    Reply   

Dizzer

cameronite

#44 [url]

Feb 13 17 4:25 AM

DavidWebb wrote:
There was David Brennan's first volume though, he was a fan too !

Absolutely! And his was great too, but I meant the first widely published one. Can I ask what sources you used?

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Feb 13 17 12:11 PM

30 years + of accumulating sources in real time + many points from people who worked with Cameron over the years when I had doubts about the available info.

For example you will learn what scenes for T1 were shot first :)

Also I think I got to the bottom of the Harlan Ellison fiasco... and found who masterminded it. But you have to read the book to know !

Quote    Reply   

Dizzer

cameronite

#46 [url]

Feb 22 17 10:17 PM

That sounds really good David. The reason I asked is because one would think there's a certain amount of sources available out there that others drew from, so in a skeptic eye, another book would sound mostly repetitive. But it does sound like you dug not only deeper but took a different angle as well.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#47 [url]

Mar 16 17 5:52 PM

And here's the cover! The book has arrived! Only 15 days to release date, but have some preview signings and special appearances scheduled before that.

Last Edited By: DavidWebb Mar 16 17 5:55 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Nope softcover. I'm doing a french radio show this saturday, and then a signing at the Salon du Livre. Then the next day I will sign the last remaining copies of the first limited print at Paris Manga Expo.

After the release, we'll plan the english translation and the english version release.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help